ROAD READY CENTRE PRE-LEARNER LICENCE COURSE
The Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course is the initial mandatory introduction for getting your learners licence in the ACT.
PLEASE NOTE BEFORE BOOKING:
- Our ACT Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course is now also being delivered online to support distance learning. Online participants require access to a computer, microphone and webcam OR a smart device (mobile, tablet etc). Online classes are conducted over the Zoom meeting app.
- The included Knowledge Test attempts (2) in this course are in-person, NOT ONLINE. For online Knowledge Testing details, please click here.
Although you can book and complete this course at any time, you must be at least 15 and 9 months old before you can be issued with your learner license to start driving. To be eligible to obtain your learner licence, you must complete these 4 steps:
- Book into our Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course
- Complete the Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course over 2 or 3 days (depending on your booking choice)
- Pass the Knowledge Test (2 free attempts included with course booking)
- Collect your proof of completion certificates and take them to Access Canberra to be issued with your learner licence
A: To obtain a learner driver licence in the ACT you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months of age
- attend the 10hr Pre-Learner course in its entirety. You will need to attend all the allocated workshop times. In the event that some sessions are not completed, you will not be able to pass the course until the time has been made up.
- pass the computer based Driver Knowledge Test – you can use the practice test to get ready.
The assessment criteria for the Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course has several components which you will need to satisfy in order to pass. Participants discuss the issues raised in the workbook modules. It is expected that students contribute to discussion in a positive manner.
This course will alert you to many skills required for safe driving and to the hazards out there on the roads. It will also provide you with an understanding of the process for obtaining both a Learner and Provisional Licence.
The course does not cover the Driver Knowledge Test directly, so we suggest studying the handbook before attending the course. A free copy is provided at the time of booking this course.
For more information please go to: www.roadready.act.gov.au
A: The Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course costs $202.00
This includes all course materials and 2 attempts at the Driver Knowledge Test. The Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course is a classroom program that includes a variety of interactive activities designed to help make new drivers aware of issues relating to safer road use before they begin to learn to drive. The course includes a range of problem solving and decision-making sessions, statistical analysis, group tasks and research assignments.
*Please note: All of our Road Ready offices are CASHLESS*
A: You will need to bring
- A completed ACT Application for a Driver Licence Form (provided on booking).
- 2 passport size photos of yourself (or we can provide them at a cost of $5.00.
- A form of I.D. (see ACT Road Rules Handbook Page 6). This needs to be a primary form if identification (such as a passport).
- Proof of Residency Documents if your identification document is from overseas (see ACT Road Rules Handbook Page 6).
- Pen and something to eat (Tea & coffee are provided).
A: An assisted test for those with difficulties can be arranged by our friendly staff on any weekday, but please contact your preferred location first to book a time with at least 2 days of notice.
A: We provide a one-on-one learner course for those who feel they are unable to complete the course via the mainstream method. This can be for many reasons and we are happy to discuss the available options. Please contact us for more information.
A: Both certificates are valid for 2 years. If an applicant fails to collect their learner drivers licence within that time, they will be required to retake and successfully complete the Road Ready Course and Road Rules Knowledge Test again before their learner licence will be reissued.
A: If you have completed the Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course with us, you get 2 free attempts at the Knowledge Test included at either of our north or south Canberra centres.
Separate attempts cost $45.00 each and the test can only be attempted twice a day. To take the Knowledge Test, simply walk in to one of our centres during testing hours and ask to sit the test.
*Please note: All of our Road Ready offices are CASHLESS*
A: You must present your proof of identity, proof of residency, course and Road Rules Knowledge Test certificates to an Access Canberra Centre to be issued with your learner drivers licence.
A: A learner licence is now valid for 5 years. Learners must display “L” plates at all times when driving with their supervisor.
Do you have an interstate learner licence?
Unfortunately an interstate learner licence is not directly transferable to the ACT, but you are however permitted to one (1) practical driver assessment with an ACT Government licence examiner. Click here to learn more
We offer the ACT Pre-Learner Course in languages other than English
For those trying to obtain a learner licence in the ACT with a Non-English Speaking Background, we provide a Road Ready Centre Pre-Learner Licence Course made for people who need translation from English.
There is a Mandarin interpreter on hand, but those who speak another language are welcome to bring a friend or relative with them to assist in the translation. Interpreters can also be organised to assist in understanding the Knowledge Test by contacting one of our offices. Click here to learn more