OVERSEAS LICENCE HOLDERS
Overseas Licence Status in the ACT
If you hold a licence from another country, you must first determine the status of your licence. Licences from other countries fall into two categories: approved and non-approved.
You can check the status of your licence by clicking this button and scrolling to the bottom of the page where the overseas licence approval list is located:
If your licence is not listed on the above page or you do not meet the stipulated requirements, your licence is considered non-approved and you will need to complete additional steps to obtain your full ACT licence. Please look at the FAQ section for more information.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
A: If you have a licence from a non-approved country, you are required to complete the ACT pre-learner course and pass both the driver knowledge and practical driving tests. For both tests, you are required to provide the following:
- Your overseas licence
- Primary Proof of Identity (such as a passport or territory photo I.D card.)
- Proof of Residency
- For the Knowledge Test you will also need to provide 2 passport photos or bring $5 for them to be taken by road ready staff.
A: The same documents provided for the knowledge test should be taken with the knowledge test certificate to any Access Canberra centre and the practical driving test can be booked.
A: Where an overseas licence holder fails a practical assessment with a Government examiner, the overseas licence is deemed to be invalid and the licence holder is required to take out a learner licence and abide by the conditions of that licence.
A: If the licence is to be obtained through the CBT&A (Logbook) system a learner licence will need to be taken out.
Note: If this is the case, the overseas licence becomes invalid for use in the ACT at the point the learner licence is issued.
A: Applicants requiring a heavy vehicle classification will be obliged to undertake the appropriate knowledge tests and a practical driver assessment.
You do not need to book ahead for taking the Knowledge Test, but you do need to arrive during our office testing hours. Details of the testing hours are shown on our contact page.
During these testing hours, you can simply request at reception to undertake the test. We provide the Knowledge Test at both of our Road Ready locations.
When asking to requesting to sit the Knowledge Test, you will need to provide:
- A primary proof of identity (such as a passport or state photo ID).
- Proof of residency documents.
- 2 passport photos, or bring $5 for them to be taken by road ready staff.
A: No, but an interpreter can be arranged for most languages, please contact the relevant location to book an appointment. Please contact us if you need and interpreter.
A: Prices depend on the number of tests taken:
- 1st appointment: $42.75 for each attempt (includes interpreter) a maximum of 2 attempts a day
- 2nd appointment: $42.75 for each attempt (includes interpreter) a maximum of 2 attempts a day.
Any further appointments will need to pay an additional fee for the interpreter:
- $180.31 for Monday to Friday
- $288.25 for Saturday
*Please note: All of our Road Ready offices are CASHLESS offices*
Any cancellation of bookings made without 24 hours notice will be taken as an appointment.
A: To obtain your ACT learner motorcycle licence you must:
- be at least 16 years and nine months old
- successfully complete a Road Ready Learner Licence Course, including a computerised knowledge test on the ACT Road Rules unless you already hold a driver licence
- Complete a government approved rider training course with Stay Upright