NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING BACKGROUND COURSE.
*This course is now also being delivered online to support distance learning. For those unable to participate in the online classroom, please book by location for small group face-to-face classrooms.
For those trying to obtain a learner licence in the ACT with a Non-English Speaking Background, we provide a course that is specifically tailored to incorporate the need for translation.
There is a Mandarin interpreter on hand at the course; but those who speak another language are welcome to bring a friend or relative with them to assist in the translation.
Knowledge Test Assistance:
In addition, one of our interpreters is provided at a later date to help translate the Road Rules Knowledge Test.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
A: To obtain a learner driver licence in the ACT you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months of age
- attend the 10hr Pre-Learner course in its entirety. Participants need to attend all the allocated workshop times. In the event that some sessions are not completed, participants will not be able to pass the course until the time has been made up.
- pass the computer based Road Rules Knowledge Test – you can use the practice test to get ready.
A: The course cost is $187.75
This includes all course materials and 4 attempts at the Road Rules knowledge test. Road Ready is a classroom program that includes a variety of interactive activities designed to help make new drivers aware of issues relating to safer road use before they begin to learn to drive. The course includes a range of problem solving and decision-making sessions, statistical analysis, group tasks and research assignments.
*Please note: all of the Road Ready offices are CASHLESS*
A: You will need to bring
- A completed ACT Application for a Driver Licence Form (provided on booking).
- 2 passport size photos of yourself (or we can provide them at a cost of $5.00.
- 3 forms of I.D. (see ACT Road Rules Handbook Page 6).
- Proof of Identity & Residency Documents (see ACT Road Rules Handbook Page 6).
- Pen and something to eat (Tea & coffee are provided).
A: The first 2 attempts that the knowledge test built into the course cost, but further sessions will incur further costs:
- 1st Session – Knowledge test and interpreter included in course price
- 2nd Session – Knowledge test and interpreter included in course price
- $42.75 for all further attempts and will need to pay additional fee for an interpreter – $180.31 Monday to Friday and $288.25 Saturday
The NESB course does not cover the Road Rules Knowledge Test so we suggest you study the handbook before attending the course, a free copy is provided at the time of booking.
For more information please go to: www.roadready.act.gov.au
A: An assisted test can be arranged any weekday 9am-4pm, please contact the required location to book a day and time. There is no additional charge but where possible, please provide 2 days notice.
A: We provide a one-on-one learner course for those who feel they are unable to complete the course via the mainstream method. This can be for many reasons and we are happy to discuss the available options. Please contact us or see the One-on-One Course for more information.
A: Both Certificates are valid for 2 years. If an applicant fails to obtain their learner drivers licence within 2 years of completing the Road Ready Course, they will be required to retake and successfully complete the Road Ready Course and Road Rules Knowledge Test again before their learner licence will be issued.
A: You must take your proof of identity, proof of residency, course certificates and Road Rules Knowledge Test certificate to an Access Canberra Service Centre to be issued with your learner driver licence.
A: A learner licence is now valid for 5 years. You must display “L” plates at all times when driving with your supervisor.